Friday, March 7, 2014

Quest for the digital Grail

Neat! I'm getting an opportunity to start looking at a project or 2 in Grails.  It should be fun.

It's funny how a few years ago, I was really skeptical of ORMs (Object Relational Mapping frameworks) and how they built the persistence layer in these web frameworks.  Now, I find that most of them are just great once you get over the initial learning bit.  It's nice to be able to just do a simple select with a good reference tool handy.  Build up a little bit at a time and the next thing you know, you're doing complex joins in your model, managing caches, and thinking about server performance.

Grails is using Hibernate to power its GORM (Grails ORM), so I have pretty strong confidence that most of the crufty stuff has been worked out.

I'll do a few posts if I find out anything interesting.